Top 5 Reasons You Should Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
You’ve been in an accident and suffered a serious injury. All you want is to obtain compensation so you can recover and move on with your life. Do you really need a car accident lawyer?
Following are the top five reasons you should hire a car accident attorney for your case:
- Free consultation: Many car accident and personal injury lawyers offer free initial consultations. This means that you can visit a lawyer and have him or her assess the strength of your case at no cost.
- Work on a contingency fee basis: In addition to offering free initial consultations, personal injury lawyers typically operate on contingency fee basis — meaning you pay them nothing unless you receive a settlement. Thus, you have nothing to lose by retaining a car accident attorney.
- Gather evidence: If you’ve been seriously injured, you are in no condition to gather evidence, speak to witnesses and formulate a solid case against the defendant. Your lawyer, on the other hand, does this on a regular basis and knows what to look for to build your case.
- Explain the law to you: Understanding the law can be difficult. A knowledgeable lawyer can explain to you that New Jersey follows a comparative fault rule. Under this law, a plaintiff may still recover some damages even if he or she is partially at fault for the accident.
- Handle insurance companies: The insurance company is not your friend. They will likely offer you a low-ball settlement to close your case as quickly as possible. An attorney knows how to handle insurance companies so that injury victims receive maximum compensation.