Who is to Blame for Your Slip and Fall Accident?
Slip and fall accidents can cause serious back and head injuries and even death. If you suffer a slip and fall injury and believe someone else is to blame, it is in your best interests to speak with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible. He or she can explain to you that slip and fall accidents are covered by premises liability law — an area of law that focuses on how and when property owners are responsible for the injuries that guests and invitees sustain while on their premises.
A skilled attorney can assist you if you have been injured in any of the following types of accidents:
- Slipping on icy steps, parking lots and walkways
- Sustaining injury in a malfunctioning elevator
- Falling because of faulty handrails
- Being attacked by a dog on someone else’s property
- Tripping because of uneven pavement or concrete
- Slipping on food spills in restaurants or grocery stores
- Suffering injury on a defective escalator
Depending on where your accident occurs, a private party or municipality may be to blame. For example, if you slip and fall in a grocery store because of a leaky refrigeration unit, you may be able to file a claim against the owner of the store. If, however, you trip and fall because of a city sidewalk that is defective or in need of repair, your case may be against a government entity. Regardless of how or where your premises liability accident happens, you should seek counsel from a competent lawyer in your area.